The Centre for Writing in English offers free, one-to-one consultations aimed at improving critical thinking and academic writing skills.
The Centre for Writing in English aims to:
1. Tailor consultations to meet individual academic writing needs across levels of proficiency.
2. Offer workshops on academic writing.
3. Create academic writing guides and tip sheets.
4. Compile academic writing references and make them available to centre users.
5. Coordinate with faculty members the application of comparable teaching practices of academic writing across the English Language and Literature program.
6. Provide criteria for standardized assessment of academic writing across the English Language and Literature program.
1. Students will demonstrate preparedness by arriving to consultation sessions with relevant materials.
2. Students will demonstrate self-reliance by identifying which parts of their writing sample on which to focus during the consultation session.
3. Students will demonstrate problem-solving and creative thinking ability by planning next steps in the writing process on the basis of points raised during consultation sessions.